There is part-time work available on campus. You will need to apply for the jobs that are posted online through the Career Services website when you arrive on campus. No guarantees of employment can be made. On-campus employment requires no special permits or visas. International students may work a maximum of 20 hours/week on-campus.  Visit the Career Services website for more information.

Several types of off-campus work permission are available:  OPT (Optional Practical Training), CPT (Curricular Practical Training), and Economic Hardship.

1)  OPT:  OPT is available in two forms:  Pre-Completion and Post-Completion.  Most students will choose to apply for Post-Completion OPT.  Post-Completion OPT is available to all F-1 students who complete an academic program at a U.S. school.  OPT is 12 months in duration.  Students can apply for OPT up to 90 days before graduation and up to 60 days after.  Students must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year prior to applying for OPT to be eligible.  Please visit the International Admissions Office for more information.

2) CPT:  CPT, or Curricular Practical Training, is work authorization that is given to students who will be taking a required internship.  The work must be an integral part of an established curriculum.  Students may work part time (20 hours per week) during the main semesters or full time during vacation periods.  Students must have been enrolled full-time for one academic year to be eligible for CPT.  Please see the International Admissions Office for more information.

3) EAD for Severe Economic Hardship:  Work authorization for economic hardship is designed to help students who have unforseen financial problems during their studies.  To apply, students must have been enrolled for one full academic year prior to applying.  Students must demonstrate the evidence of severe economic hardship. Circumstances must be proved to be unforseeable and unavoidable. Documentation of these circumstances must be provided. Students receiving scholarship may experience difficulty proving this.


Students who have received on-campus employment or an Employment Authorization Document (OPT or Economic Hardship Work Permit) can take their I-20, I-94, and passport (with valid visa) to the Social Security office and apply for a Social Security card. Only those students who have off-campus work permissions or who have received an offer to work part-time on campus will be allowed to apply for a Social Security card. A Social Security number will not be issued for creation of credit card or utility accounts.

How to Apply:

Take your job offer letter to the Human Resources Office. HR will issue a university job offer letter.

Bring your job offer letter to International Admissions to be signed by a DSO (Designated School Officer). Note: Students who will work on campus for a contracted service company (Sodhexo, Follet Bookstore, Physical Plant) will need to obtain a letter on letterhead from that service company and then obtain a separate letter from International Admissions, signed by a DSO.

Take the letter, I-20, and passport to the Social Security office to apply. It should take about 3 weeks to receive your card.