OCU/OCCC Teaching Scholars Program
The goal of this program is to serve the Oklahoma City community by preparing excellent teachers for our public schools who have been educated at both Oklahoma City Community College and Oklahoma City University.
Students who earn an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree at
Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC) within the last five years are eligible to be Teaching Scholars at Oklahoma City University (OCU). Teaching Scholars will:
- have earned a minimum 3.0 Cumulative GPA in their OCCC Associate Degree program.
- have met the standard admission requirements for transfer students at OCU.
- declare one of the following Degree/Majors and Certification Areas at OCU:
|Degrees and Major(s)||Certification Area|
|B.S. Early Childhood Education||Early Childhood Education|
|B.S. Elementary Education||Elementary Education|
|B.A. Art and P-12 Education||P-12 Art Education|
|B.A. Spanish and P-12 Education||P-12 Spanish Education|
|B.A. English and Secondary Education||Secondary English Education|
|B.S. Mathematics and Secondary Education||Secondary Mathematics Education|
|B.S. Biology or Chemistry and Secondary Education||Secondary Science Education|
|B.A. History and Secondary Education||Secondary Social Studies Education|
- apply formally to the OCU Teacher Education Program the second semester of attendance.
- have met both the Petree College and the University General Education requirements with the addition of 3 credit hour Religion course (REL 1003 or REL 2513) if they have not taken an equivalent course. Teaching scholars will meet the Gen. Ed. service-learning requirement via the "Students with Exceptionalities" course.
- be enrolled full-time at OCU (12-16 credit hours per semester) and follow the program of study of the major/certification area each semester.
- need to meet all course requirements of the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Assessment for the particular certification area major. This includes two courses in a single foreign language and the "4 by 12" requirements for Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education majors.
- enroll in 12-16 hours each semester at OCU, major in education, and follow the program of study of the certification area/major each semester. Changing degree plans away from any of the above will result in a loss of the OCU Teaching Scholars Scholarship. An Education Advisor will evaluate plans of study each year. This OCU Teachers Scholarship has a maximum of 5 semesters.
- be an important part of the OCU's state and nationally accredited Teacher Education Program.
|3.0-3.29 GPA||3.3-3.59 GPA||3.6-4.0 GPA|
|- Teaching Scholars Scholarship||$(9,000)||$(9,000)||$(9,000)|
*The amounts listed do not include additional state or federal financial aid the student may have.
**Based on cumulative college GPA, renewable for maximum of five consecutive semesters, and full-time enrollment of 12 or more hours per semester is required.