The Red Earth MFA program accepts applications on a rolling basis until November 15 for the January Residency / Spring Semester and June 1 for the July Residency / Fall Semester. However, preference for admission will be given to students who apply by March 15 for the fall residency and September 15 for the spring residency. Students may also apply up to a year in advance of the residency / semester they would like to enter the program.
Click HERE to go to the online application instructions and application checklist.
You'll need to prepare the following information for your online application:
In addition to the general admissions requirements established by Oklahoma City University, students seeking admission to the MFA in Creative Writing must submit the following:
A sample of creative work
The sample should be from the genre in which s/he wishes to work, no more than twenty pages long.
A two- or three-page personal statement
Respond to each of the following prompts:
- Write about a book that you have read recently. Explain, with specific references to the book and to craft elements* why that book did or did not work for you. *(Craft elements: plot, characterization, setting, scenes, metaphor, line breaks, imagery, sonics, etc.)
- Explain your preparation (academic or personal) for an MFA program. Explain why a low-residency program will work for you. To prepare for this part of the personal statement, please read Lori A. May’s article, “Is a Low-Residency MFA Right for You?” which is available here.
Two confidential letters of recommendation
Please request reference letters from professors, coworkers, supervisors, colleagues or other people who can describe you in terms of the following characteristics. If you are not sure who would make a good reference for you, please contact the MFA director: MFADirector@okcu.edu
- Self-discipline (being a “self-starter”)
- Ability to take criticism and follow guidance
- Ability to plan for and meet deadlines
- Camaraderie/ability to work with others
Reference letters which do not respond to the characteristics above will not be considered.
Official transcripts of all completed undergraduate and graduate work with confirmation of a bachelor's degree in any subject. GRE is not required. Transcripts must be sent directly from your schools to OCU. You are not required to hold a B.A. in English/Literary Studies or Creative Writing--prospective students holding B.A.'s in any field are welcome to apply.
An application fee
The application fee is $50.
For more information, please contact MFA Director Jeanetta Calhoun Mish or the OCU English Department:
Red Earth MFA Director
Oklahoma City University
2501 N. Blackwelder Avenue
WC 248, English Department Oklahoma City, OK 73106