Apply to the Smokewood Institute
Admission into the Smokewood Institute for Young Writers is selective. We are looking for students who are bright and diligent, and this should be reflected in their application. The program includes a 3-credit course, room and board, and all extracurricular activities. The cost is $1500. Scholarships for half-tuition are available. If you wish to be considered for a scholarship, please mention this in your brief letter (#1 below) and explain why you believe you are deserving of one. The deadline for scholarship consideration is April 28.
The application process operates through the Concurrent Enrollment form for Oklahoma City University. Please prepare the following materials first, and then follow the link below.
- Write a brief letter (200-350 words) addressing the Smokewood Institute explaining why you would like to attend, why you think you would be a good fit, and what you believe you have to offer a college-level community of writers.
- Prepare a writing sample of 5-6 pages, double-spaced. If you are submitting poetry, your poems should be no longer than 1 page each. We prefer this to be a .pdf or .doc/.docx file.
- Gather the following information: your parent or guardian’s email address, the email address of your high school counselor, the email address of a recommender from school who can speak to why you would be a good fit for the Institute (such as a teacher or librarian). Tell your parent or guardian, as well as your recommender, to expect recommendation requests via email from OCU.
- Ask your school to submit an official high school transcript. OCU accepts secure electronic transcripts from several reputable companies. Check with your high school to see if they participate with any electronic service. Please use firstname.lastname@example.org when asking the school to send the transcript to OCU via an electronic transcript service. We do not accept scanned copies of the transcripts. Your transcripts should include every semester of high school you have completed thus far. We highly recommend that you include test scores from the SAT or ACT, if you have taken these tests. Usually these scores will appear on your high school transcript. However, you can also have them directly reported by the testing service. Refer to the following codes: For the ACT, the OCU code is 3416. For the SAT, the OCU code is 6543.
Once you have gathered and prepared the materials above, Apply Online HERE.
- When asked to “Enter Term,” be sure to select “Summer 2017”.
- When asked to “ Choose Program,” be sure to select “Smokewood Institute”.
If you have any questions or difficulties with the application process, please contact Dr. Karen Schiler directly at email@example.com.