Why a degree in Mathematics?
In our modern fast changing and highly demanding world one undergraduate college degree is often not sufficient to succeed in the professional world after graduation.
- “Even if you do not choose a career in the mathematical sciences, studying as much mathematics as you can is a good way to keep your career options open. Mathematics is an excellent foundation for, and is usually a prerequisite to, study in all areas of science and engineering. Students in such areas as anthropology, sociology, and psychology, as well as law, business, and medicine, also benefit from a solid background in mathematics and statistics. It will help you to better understand science and technology and their effects on our world.” (Quote from Careers in Mathematics)
all of the top fifty jobs in the "best" jobs list involved mathematical
reasoning and knowledge. This list was the result of the comparison of
two hundred fifty jobs classified according to:
- Future outlook
- Physical demands
- Job security
- Work environment
(Source: Mathematical Association of America, MAA)
Why a degree in Mathematics from Oklahoma City University?
- All courses are taught by faculty with Ph.D. degrees, and who have many years of teaching experience and are strongly engaged in research.
- Students obtain solid advice by faculty members for their future goals, whether they involve graduate school, an occupation in the industry, or research areas. In recent years, about 85% of all graduates were accepted into top-ranked graduate schools. According the US News & World Report, physicists and mathematicians find immediate employment after graduation.
- Students who graduated from OCU with a B.S. degree in Mathematics are well prepared to pursue advanced degrees in mathematics or areas related to mathematics.
- Mathematics majors are encouraged to participate in undergraduate research projects.
- A strong personal interaction between students and faculty exists in our department, which helps students feel at ease in the college environment.