Moving Image Arts
Moving images are all around us
Whether we watch on our phones, at home, or in a movie theater, our favorite films and TV shows catch our attention in ways that few can resist and many find difficult to explain.
The Moving Image Arts faculty want to help you better understand these experiences, and we believe the best way to do that is to make your own.
From your first semester through your final year, you'll make movies in a curriculum that makes connections between the vocational and conceptual aspects of modern media production. You'll learn about the latest production gear and practices within the context of the aesthetics, ethics, and traditions of filmmaking.
Your work will set a foundation for your success in further graduate study or in the rapidly expanding local, regional, and national entertainment industries. While many of our graduates have gone on to work as production personnel in TV and film, others have started careers as independent filmmakers and visual artists. All have benefited from the collaborative atmosphere at OCU where creative work is nurtured and new voices are discovered.
Let's see what you can make!
BFA in Film Production
The Department of Moving Image Arts offers a premier, interdisciplinary program of study where a foundation in the liberal arts informs each student’s efforts to master the technology of modern media production.
In addition to the General Education curriculum administered by the university, the courses listed below are offered for the BFA in Film Production. BFA candidates must successfully complete a total of at least 124 credit hours for graduation: 40 credit hours from GenEd + 60 credit hours of required Filmcore classes + 24 credit hours of approved electives.
Current and prospective students should contact a member of the faculty with any questions or to make a personalized plan for degree completion.
These courses are required for Film Production Majors
- MIAP 1013 - Introduction to Film Studies
- MIAP 1213 - History of Motion Pictures
- ART/DESIGN ELECTIVE (choose one)
- ART 1043 - Foundational 2D Design
- ART 1603 - Digital Photography I
- THRE 1603 - Technical Drawing for Theatre
- MIAP 2023 - Project 1: Practicum
- MIAP 2223 - Project 2: Sophomore
- MIAP 2273 - Film Production & Business
- PHIL 2513 - Ethics of Communication
- MIAP 3023 - Film Sound Recording
- MIAP 3103 - Nonlinear Editing
- MIAP 3123 - Writing for Stage & Screen
- MIAP 3204 - Intermediate Digital Editing
- MIAP 3223 - Introduction to Cinematography
- MIAP 3323 - Introduction to Film Lighting
- MIAP 3363 - Cinema and International Explorations
- MIAP 3513 - On-Camera Acting
- MIAP 4113 - Production Design
- MIAP 4124 - Intermediate Film Sound Editing Techniques
- MIAP 4391 - Capstone Planning
- MIAP 4493 - Capstone Execution
These courses are approved electives for Film Production majors
Petitions may be filed for substitutions pending approval.
- MIAP 1113 - Hollywood I
- ENGL 2302 - Critical Reading and Writing
- MIAP 2323 - Documentary Film
- MIAP 3133 - From Script to Screen
- MIAP 3143 - Film Directing: The Collective Vision
- MIAP 3163 - Film Genre
- MIAP 3183 - Film Theory & Criticism
- MIAP 3313 - Great Films
- MIAP 3483 - Moving Image Arts Internship
- MIAP 3613 - Advanced On-Camera Acting
- MIAP 4043 - Special Topics in Film Production
- MIAP 4143 - Special Topics in Film Studies