Student Success Center
Director of Student Success and Retention
Petree College of Arts & Sciences
Director of Testing
Walker Center, Rm. 105
Oklahoma City University Students Noted for Achievements
Student Publications received six awards at the Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association (OCMA) conference March 30 in Stillwater.
The awards were:
- First place in editorial writing by Layout Editor Nathan Hatcher. The award was for an editorial Hatcher wrote about the cancellation of the university’s track team.
- First place in team investigative reporting by alumna Amanda Alfanos and Susannah Waite, mass communications junior. The award was for coverage of last year’s flood in United Methodist Hall.
- Second place in general news writing by Alfanos.
- Second place in news photography by Photo Editor Marianne Pickens.
- Honorable mention in column writing for Columnist Elizabeth Newby.
- Third place in column writing for alumna Erin Ferrell.
The Student Publications staff competed against larger universities including the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University for the awards. It was the first year the association added the two major state schools to the competition. For more information about Student Publications, call (405) 208-6068 or email email@example.com.
The Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation named Christina Hansen as one of its Sir Alexander Fleming Scholars for 2012. The students were selected following a competitive statewide application and interview process. Those chosen as Fleming scholars will spend eight weeks working side-by-side with senior-level OMRF scientists. They will complete research projects on topics such as autoimmune disease, cancer and heart disease, and their work will culminate in scientific papers and seminar presentations to OMRF’s scientific staff. Read more about the program at the link: