Campus Pest Control
Housing has contracted a local pest control company to inspect their buildings in order to prevent and regulate infestations of cockroaches, bedbugs, other insects and rodents. This service is offered at no additional cost to residents.
Each room is inspected bi-monthly or once a month. All residents are required to participate and cooperate with the pest control program.
It is imperative residents permit entrance to their apartments on the designated inspection date, even in their absences. A notification card is left in each apartment to notify residents when their apartment has been inspected.
If residents have medical conditions prohibiting extermination in their apartments, written documentation from a physician must be submitted to the Housing office.
Rooms identified by the pest control technician as infested are required to participate in a mandatory full treatment of room. Residents will be notified of steps that must be taken to prepare the dorm/apartment for treatment. Failure to prepare an apartment will result in fines and possible eviction. Below is a breakdown of the penalty system:
- The first violation results in a written warning.
- The second violation results in a $50 fine.
- The third violation results in a $50 fine and a meeting with the Dean of Students.
Residents must do the following:
- Practice cleanliness.
- Wash dishes daily.
- Do not store paper or loose plastic bags in the dorm/apartment.
- Thoroughly clean the kitchen weekly; do not let grease accumulate on the stove and cabinets.
- Get rid of garbage on a regular basis.
- Keep food in covered containers and/or dishes.
- Check boxes and sacks brought in.
- Common places to check for pests include: around the sink, stove, cupboards, pipes and baseboards, as well as under tables and chairs.