Computer Requirements Overview
Oklahoma City University is committed to the integration of technology across the campus, and we embrace a ubiquitous computing environment. Campus Technology Services strives to support most any modern computing devices our faculty, staff and students require for teaching and learning activities throughout campus.
Currently, two schools at Oklahoma City University require their students to have mobile devices:
- The Kramer School of Nursing
- The Wanda L. Bass School of Music
If you are a student in a program other than music or nursing, you are not required to have a mobile device at this time; however, considering the pervasive use of technology in the delivery of course content and as a tool for research and study, it is highly recommended that you consider bringing a mobile device for your academic experience at OCU.
Contact the OCU Office of Financial Aid now if you want to see if the purchase of a computing device can be included in your financial aid package! (405-208-5211, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A modern operating system fully patched that is still supported by its manufacturer. Examples would be Windows 7 or newer, Mac OS 10.8 or newer, the latest iOS and Android releases.
- Antivirus and anti malware software is required to protect your computing systems.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, and Outlook) is recommended and is available at no charge for our students. See this page for download instructions.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reader is recommended and can be found on the Internet free to download.
- A wireless network card is highly recommended for mobile devices to take advantage of the wireless network throughout campus.
Music School Specifications
Click here to learn more about the computer requirements for incoming music students.
Nursing School Specifications
All Kramer School of Nursing, students in all programs who have two or more semesters of nursing courses remaining before graduation — except Traditional BSN students not yet starting junior level nursing courses — will be required to have laptop computers or mobile devices with the above minimum specifications. The nursing school uses ExamSoft for some testing purposes so be sure the system you bring meets the requirements of ExamSoft.
Students must bring their laptops or mobile devices to the orientation for their program, allowing Campus Technology to help with wireless configuration and for verification that the minimum specifications have been met. Students will be expected to bring their laptops or mobile devices to all KSN classes.
Students may use either Windows or Apple products that meet the general specifications listed above.