Students who are not able to audition in person may audition for admission to the dance program by submitting a non-returnable audition tape as described below. Prospective students who audition by videotape are not eligible for a dance scholarship. Videotape auditions are for evaluating the auditioner only for admission to the dance program.
- All videos must be DVD or standard VHS format. Other formats will not be viewed. DVDs MUST be playable in a standard DVD player.
- DVD or VHS must be labeled with your name, height, weight, age, and date. The DVD or VHS will not be viewed without this information.
- Video auditions will be used for determining admissibility as a dance performance, dance management or American dance teacher major and for class technique levelings. Video auditions will not be used for scholarship determination.
- Video auditions should show only the dancer who is auditioning and should not be taped in a performance.
- Auditioning dancers will be judged on personality and body proportions in addition to technique. Please make sure that these factors are visible. Do not wear black, dark blue, dark green or white leotards and tights. Do not wear glossy tights. A solid color leotard and tights in moderate tone are preferred. Do not wear skirts or cover-ups -- we need to see you from the tip of your toes to the tip of your head!
- Videos should show the following steps in ballet, tap, and jazz:
- Adage placement combination showing balance and extension
- A line of turns of the dancer's choice, i.e. chaines
- Small jumps
- Large jumps
- Jumps with beats, if possible
- Inside and outside jazz turns
- A battement & jump combination using different levels, i.e. jumps in the air with floor work in between
- A short dance combination showing dynamics, energy, stamina, and the ability to hit poses
- A series of basic rhythm steps, i.e. flaps, shuffles, cramprolls, drawbacks, irish
- Time step and a time step break
- Simple to complex riffs
- Pullbacks or pick-ups; wings
- A turn series, i.e. irish, flap ball change, maxi-fords, cramprolls
- Personal Presentation: With camera zoomed in so that face and upper chest are in the picture, introduce yourself, and talk several minutes about yourself and your interests and goals in both the short and long term.
- Performance: Present a minute performance in the style or styles of your choice. Remember we are a "show business" oriented program, so show lots of personality and pizzazz!
- A completed video audition form must be included with the auditioner’s video.
- Audition tapes will not be returned. Please do not send us an original tape you want to keep.
- Explanations for why an auditioner was not accepted will not be given in writing or by phone.
Students wishing to be considered for a Dance Performance, Dance Management, or American Dance Teacher Tuition Scholarship must audition in person at the annual Admission and Scholarship Auditions held on campus each spring and fall. We prefer for students to audition at the annual Admission and Scholarship Auditions, if possible. All other things being equal, preference will be given to those who audition in person.
The dance program will not accept admission audition registrations or video submissions from auditioners (domestic or international) with ACT scores below 20 or SAT scores below 950 (excluding writing test) for dance majors, or where this information has not been provided.
Transfer students Transfer students are required to submit college transcripts to be evaluated to be eligible to audition. Transfer students with less than 27 completed semester credit hours of academic courses must have qualifying ACT or SAT scores as described above for entering freshmen and a cumulative GPA of 2.75. Transfer students for all degree programs with over 26 completed semester credit hours of academic courses must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. Transcripts may be sent prior to registering for the audition or immediately after registering. Transcripts do not have to be official copies. Official or unofficial transcripts can be submitted to Amanda Craig via email (email@example.com), fax (405-208-5313) or mail (Oklahoma City University Dance, Attn: Amanda Craig, 2501 N. Blackwelder, Oklahoma City, OK 73106). If you have questions about submitting transcripts, please contact Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org or 405-208-5644.
Video Audition Submission Deadlines
For fall semester admission, the video audition submission deadline is July 31st. For spring semester admission, the video audition submission deadline is November 15th.