Rhodes Scholarships offer the opportunity to study at Oxford University for two years, with tuition fees paid and a living allowance provided. American Rhodes Scholars are selected from all over the nation to study in the field of the student’s choice at Oxford. Students may receive a master’s degree or a second bachelor’s. However, the master’s degree is recommended. Candidates must demonstrate qualities Cecil Rhodes expressly defined. These qualities include distinction of character and intellect, which in combination offer the promise of effective service to the world. The foundation looks for students who have literary and scholastic achievements, moral force of character, leadership and public service accomplishments.
To qualify for Rhodes Scholarship application, you should
1. be a U.S. citizen,
2. be between 18 and 24,
3. plan to graduate with an undergraduate degree by the August before you would begin study at Oxford,
4. have a 3.9 grade point average, and
5. obtain OCU’s nomination through this office: Dr. Abigail Keegan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 208-5127, 208-5327.
1. Applicants must notify this office by April 20 of their interest in applying.
2. By Sept. 1 you should submit the following to this scholarship office
a.) a cover sheet with all contact information
b.) a list of activities and honors in college including scholarships, offices held, athletic accomplishments, and extracurricular activities
c.) a personal statement of 1,000 words describing your greatest achievements, your intellectual and personal interests, and your plan of study while at Oxford;
d.) three recommendation letters
e.) transcripts from each college attended
3. In mid-September students will have an on-campus interview and will then have ten days to two weeks to revise their application material.
4. Final materials must be posted by October 1.
5. If selected, regional and district level interviews will follow in October and November.
Visit the Rhodes website: www.rhodesscholar.org