The Harry S. Truman Scholarship provides $3,000 for undergraduate seniors and a total of $27,000 for graduate studies. Juniors headed for careers in public service are encouraged to apply for a Truman scholarship Truman scholars are students who have the desire, the intellect, and the leadership potential to improve the way public entities, whether they are government or non-profit organizations, serve the public.
Applicants must have a strong academic and service record and plan to pursue a graduate program directed toward public service.
Prospective candidates must
1. be a U.S. citizen,
2. be in the upper quarter of your junior class except for residents of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands who must be in their senior year,
3. be committed to a career in public service, and
4. receive OCU’s nomination through this office.
1. Notify this office by Nov. 15 of your interest in application, Dr. Abigail Keegan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 208-5127/ 208-5327.
2. Submit a cover sheet by Dec. 1st that includes your name and contact information (list them in accordance with Truman categories found on their website.)
3. Complete a Truman application (hardcopy) available on the Truman website by Dec. 1st.
4. Provide one official OCU transcript by Dec. 1.
5. A policy recommendation as defined by the Truman website.
6. Provide three recommendation letters with other Dec. 1 materials.
7. Selected candidates will be asked to attend a campus interview early in January.
8. The final application materials will be submitted by Jan. 20.
9. Truman final deadline Feb. 1.
Visit the Truman website: www.truman.gov