The Red Earth MFA program accepts applications on a rolling basis until November 15 for the January Residency / Spring Semester and June 1 for the July Residency / Fall Semester. However, preference for admission will be given to students who apply by March 15 for the fall residency and September 15 for the spring residency. Students may also apply up to a year in advance of the residency / semester they would like to enter the program.
In addition to the general admissions requirements established by Oklahoma City University, students seeking admission to the MFA in Creative Writing must submit the following:
- A sample of creative work in the genre in which s/he wishes to work, no more than twenty pages long. Although students will be able to work in multiple genres, students will initially be accepted on the basis of the strength of their work in one genre.
- A two- or three-page personal statement about the student's goals for the program: background in reading and writing, previous education and work experience, and interest in teaching and/or professional writing should be included.
- Official transcripts of all completed undergraduate and graduate work with confirmation of a bachelor's degree in any subject. GRE is not required.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from people familiar with the student's writing. These letters should address writing strengths/weaknesses, potential for contributions to a creative writing program, and potential for success in a graduate program which requires independent work and the ability to benefit from direct criticism. (Note: two letters of recommendation, total, are all that are required.)
- An application fee of $50.
The online application is available at OCU’s graduate admissions website.
For more information, please contact MFA Director Jeanetta Calhoun Mish or the OCU English Department:
Red Earth MFA Director
Oklahoma City University
2501 N. Blackwelder Avenue WC 248, English Department
Oklahoma City, OK 73106