Student Financial Services
Clara Luper Scholarship
To be considered for the Clara Luper Scholarship:
- Applicants must be a full-time, first-time freshman matriculating directly from high school
- Applicants must have an ACT score of at least a 22 or an SAT score that is equivalent AND at least a 3.0 GPA.*
- Applicants must be admitted to Oklahoma City University by February 1st.
- Applicants must complete the Clara Luper Scholarship Application by February 1st.
- Applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student AID (FAFSA) by February 1st.
- The FAFSA can be accessed starting October 1, 2016 and completed online at fafsa.ed.gov.
- Include Oklahoma City University's federal code (003166) on the application.
- Oklahoma residents are urged to submit the FAFSA no later than December 1st to ensure maximum eligibility determination for state grants.
- Applicants must demonstrate need, which will be determined through the FAFSA.
- Applicants chosen by the Department of Education for the verification process must submit additional financial aid documents.*
- Preference given to Oklahoma students.
*SAT scores are based on the redesigned SAT that launched in March 2016. If you have scores taken prior to March 2016, please contact your admissions counselor. The College Board provides an online SAT Score Converter so that you can see how specific scores from the old and new tests compare to each other.
*Students may be selected for an interview with outstanding requirements. Students will need to submit additional financial aid documents for further review, in a timely manner. Scholarship offers will not be made or guaranteed to students who do not complete the necessary steps for verification.
To complete your application, you must submit:
- A resume detailing leadership, community service, and extra-curricular activities
- Clara Luper Scholarship Application (see below)
- Recent picture
- 500-word essay addressing one of the following topic:
Define what it means to be an effective leader, then describe at least one specific example of such leadership, as experienced in your own personal leadership roles and/or interactions with other strong leaders, which led to your definition of a leader. Use vivid details to explain how the example embodies your definition of leadership.
Oklahoma City University’s Clara Luper Scholarship program honors the legacy of the Oklahoma City civil rights leader (1923-2011) by providing a private college education to deserving students from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds who demonstrate financial need. In addition to maintaining high academic performance, community service activities are an integral part of this highly competitive scholarship program. Engaging in community service combined with the vital financial assistance demonstrates the United Methodist tradition of leadership in scholarship and community.
Clara Luper served as a schoolteacher in Oklahoma City as well as a mentor to members of the NAACP Youth Council during its campaign to end segregation in Oklahoma City. Her efforts contributed to the desegregation of Oklahoma City as we know it today. OCU honors Luper’s legacy in its local history and mission, small classes, individual attention from caring faculty and staff, and emphasis on community service. While the standards of the program remain highly demanding, Luper scholars mature in leadership roles both on and off campus and graduate with impressive resumes reflecting their academic excellence and active service in their community. OCU is uniquely positioned to serve a need-based population that greatly benefits from these unique assets provided in a private, Methodist, faith-based setting.
The Clara Luper Scholarship promotes the United Methodist tradition of scholarship and service by removing the primary barrier to a private university, which most often is cost. The scholarship is offered to students from under-represented populations, who demonstrate need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). These scholars mature in leadership roles and are actively involved on campus. Annual retention rates for these scholars are more than 90 percent.
After all federal and state grants have been applied, the Clara Luper Scholarship will cover up to:
- The remaining tuition up to the block pricing structure of 12-16 credit hours**
- Standard room (Walker, Banning, Draper and Smith)***
- Standard meal plan (Plan D)
** University fees will not be covered by any university scholarships. Federal and state grants, outside scholarships, loans, and personal payments can be used to cover the cost.
***The scholarship excludes coverage of rooms in Methodist Hall, Cokesbury Apartments, and University Manor.