Oklahoma City University embraces the United Methodist tradition of scholarship and service and welcomes all faiths in a culturally rich community that is dedicated to student welfare and success. Men and women pursue academic excellence through a rigorous curriculum that focuses on students' intellectual, moral and spiritual development to prepare them to become effective leaders in service to their communities.
Brief History of OCU
Oklahoma City University was chartered as Epworth University on September 1, 1904. The first students attended class in one all-purpose building. One hundred and sixteen students enrolled that fall. The original building is still standing and forms part of Epworth United Methodist Church in Oklahoma City.
Surviving the storms of financial difficulties, the university moved to Guthrie in the fall of 1911. Classes were conducted in the old Oklahoma Territory capitol building. At this time the name was changed to Methodist University of Oklahoma. In 1922, the name was changed to Oklahoma City College. The college was relocated to its present location in Oklahoma City. The current administration building housed both classrooms and student dormitories. In 1924, the college was renamed Oklahoma City University.
Learn more »
Enrollment: More than 1,800 undergraduate students and 600 graduate students from 46 states and 43 foreign countries
Student/Faculty Ratio: 11:1
Average class size for freshmen: 17