(excluding Percussion, Piano, and Organ)
Candidates are required to perform four pieces of varied styles and periods. Repertoire may be solos or etudes written for the instrument. All instrumental auditions will include sight-reading.
Photocopied music and taped accompaniments are not allowed.
Candidates are required to perform at least one piece or etude on snare drum, marimba (4-mallets) and timpani and six orchestral excerpts (minimum). Audition will include sight-reading.
Candidates are required to perform a thirty-minute program representing important works from at least three of the following historical styles:
- Baroque period (e.g., Bach, Scarlatti, Handel, Rameau, Couperin)
- Classical period (e.g., Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart)
- Romantic period (e.g., Chopin, Schubert, Liszt, Brahms, Schumann)
- Twentieth century (e.g., Debussy, Ravel, Bartok, Hindemith, Prokofieff, Schoenberg, Copland, Barber)
Candidates may be asked to perform all or part of their prepared repertoire.
A 30 minute program should be prepared to include the following:
- One major work by J.S. Bach or another Baroque composer.
- Two additional pieces in differing styles from the Romantic period or later (e.g., one lyrical, one virtuosic piece).
Playing from memory is encouraged, but not required. Ample time and pistons will be provided for registering the program.