Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

What are the entrance requirements?
For complete information, click here.

What is the application deadline?
There is no application deadline, so you may apply at any time.  Coursework may begin in fall, spring, or summer, depending on your desired start date and course availability.  

How many hours are required to complete the degree
The PhD is a minimum of 90 credit hours post-baccalaureate. For more information about the curriculum, click here.

Can I study part-time?
Yes. You can design how fast you want to finish you PhD for your desired graduation date.

How long does it take to complete the degree?
An MSN will be awarded following completion of the 33 credit hours of MSN-required courses. A full-time student taking the recommended courses per semester, including summer courses, can complete the PhD in five years (less if more than nine credit hours are taken during fall and spring semesters).

Can I work while earning the degree?
Many students work full-time if they approach the degree at a part-time rate. Full-time employment is highly discouraged for students taking a full-time course load, though. Employment as a faculty member at the community college level may be appropriate for students enrolled in MSN-level coursework. (Note that most nursing schools require completion of the MSN portion of the PhD to be employed as a faculty member.)

How much does the degree cost?
For current tuition and fees, click here. Out-of-state students pay the same rate as in-state students. A laptop computer is required, but the university provides free systems software and upgrades to meet our requirements.

Are scholarships or financial aid available?
Yes. The cost of the high-quality education provided by Kramer School of Nursing need not stop a student from choosing Oklahoma City University. For more information, click here.

  • OCU uses the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as a one-stop form by which students may apply for both federal and university-based scholarships. The FAFSA can be found at
  • Kramer School of Nursing also maintains a lengthy, though by no means complete, list of scholarship opportunities from private sources. Click here for that list.
  • Federal financial aid is available for graduate students who take at least six credit hours per semester. Additionally, some of our students receive educational assistance from their employers.

Do you offer any online courses?
All courses require both in-person and online components. When enrolled in the BSN-to-PhD program, graduate courses at the 5000-6000 level meet regularly. Courses at the 7000-9000 level require that domestic students come to the OCU campus for a required three-day intensive prior to the beginning of each fall and spring semester, and once during each summer; international students are required to reside in the Oklahoma City area and participate in each three-day intensive, as well as attend on-campus learning activities related to their coursework throughout the semester.

Whom do I contact if I have more questions?
To learn more about how you can earn an MSN, PhD, or DNP degree, email Shelley Cassada, Graduate Programs Specialist, at

Dr. Liz Diener is KSN’s Chair of Graduate Education and can be contacted at  You can also call (405) 208-5960 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or leave a message any time.

Liz Diener, RN, PhD, CNE, CPNP, Chair of Graduate Education

Shelley Cassada, MS, Graduate Programs Specialist