Second Bachelor's Degree: FAQ

Is there a waiting list?
No. Kramer School of Nursing accepts all applicants who meet the criteria for admission to Oklahoma City University. Students are nursing majors and have nursing faculty advisors from the outset. When it comes time to start the 3000-level nursing courses, the student can continue directly into those courses without a separate application if all the prerequisite courses have been taken with minimum grades earned, all general education courses have been taken except for 9 credit hours, the student has a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, English proficiency has been approved, and the student meets all expectations listed in the Eligibility Statement.

How many students are accepted into the program each year? How many students are currently in the program?
As many students are accepted as qualify. During the 2011-12 school year, KSN anticipates approximately 500 students total.

What is the deadline for application to the nursing program?
To begin 3000-level nursing courses, you must meet all required eligibility qualifications and must comply fully with the deadline for a complete application (July 15 for fall semester classes, November 15 for spring).  Second bachelors degree students may engage in general education coursework in the summer if desired, though nursing coursework only starts in fall or spring.  The summer application deadline is April 15.  A complete application includes all of the following:

  1. University application form, completed in its entirety and submitted to the Office of Admissions
  2. Official, current transcripts of all college course work attempted sent directly from the institution where the courses were taken to the Transcript Coordinator at the Office of Admissions at Oklahoma City University.  Transcripts delivered by the student in a sealed envelope will not be accepted. 
  3. Verification of English language proficiency, received by the Intake Specialist at the Kramer School of Nursing

Is there a separate application to the nursing program?
No. The application to the university is the only application that needs to be completed. You are automatically a nursing student as soon as you are accepted to the university. You are assigned a nursing professor as your academic advisor, are welcome to participate in all KSN activities, and are a welcome part of the Student Nurses Association. You proceed directly into nursing courses at the 3000-level with no additional application as long as you have a 3.0 or higher GPA, English proficiency has been approved, and have taken the prerequisite courses.

What do I do if I am still taking prerequisite courses at another college?
Maintain contact with the Intake Specialist at least twice a semester to give an update on your progress regarding completed courses, current enrollment, and future courses. Provide proof of enrollment to your specialist for all classes in which you are currently enrolled. As soon as you have completed each course during the semester prior to the one in which you plan to begin nursing courses, give the Intake Specialist a letter from the professor stating your final grade, because official transcripts may not be available as quickly as desired. Request an official transcript be sent to OCU as soon as the grades have been posted.

Will you accept a transcript delivered by me if it is in a sealed envelope with the registrar’s seal on it?
No. To be considered official, the transcript must be mailed directly from one institution to the other. We can begin processing your application with unofficial transcripts, but to be admitted, we must receive official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. Have them sent directly to the Transcript Coordinator, Office of Admissions, Oklahoma City University, 2501 N. Blackwelder, Oklahoma City, OK 73106.

Can I take prerequisite courses at the same time that I take nursing courses?
Students must complete all nursing prerequisites and all but 9 credit hours of general education courses prior to entering the 3000-level of the nursing program. All required course work must be satisfactorily completed for graduation eligibility.

How will I know if courses I am currently taking will transfer to KSN?
To complete a self-evaluation of your previous coursework, please click here for a worksheet. To see if a course you have taken elsewhere will transfer to Oklahoma City University, click here. If you don’t see a course listed on the equivalency matrix, you may submit course information to our online transfer evaluation site. Be sure to specify the Oklahoma City University course or requirement the transfer course might meet. Typically, these evaluations can take two weeks, and perhaps longer during summer months. If you have difficulty with the transfer course equivalency matrix, call the Registrar’s Office at (405) 208-5298. The program specialist can also help you with this process.

How will I know if courses I am currently taking will be acceptable as prerequisites?
The Intake Specialist can tell you if the course you are considering taking will meet the requirement. Please ask if you are in doubt before taking a course, as some may be lacking a critical component.

What is needed for an evaluation of my coursework already completed for admission into the program?
The Intake Specialist can evaluate transcripts following admission to the university.  All documents, including application, test scores, and transcripts, should be supplied to admissions. 

How long do the evaluations take?
Once students have been admitted to the university, evaluations generally take one to four weeks depending on the time of year and number of students applying. 

Once I have applied to the university, when do I find out if I have been admitted?
Maintain contact with the Admissions office or the Intake Specialist at least every other week throughout the application process, to assure that official transcripts have arrived and all requirements are in place. You can be told by phone if you have been admitted, but you will also receive a letter in the mail. Depending on how quickly your transcripts and other requirements arrive, the admission process can take just a few days to several weeks.

How long is the nursing program?
Completion of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree typically takes four years attending full-time with summers off; three years taking classes part-time, once you start the 3000-level nursing courses; or 16 months by pursing the accelerated option.

How much does the program cost? What financial aid is available?
KSN tuition for the BSN courses is the same as the university’s. Out-of-state students pay the same rate as in-state students. For current tuition rates, click here for the Office of Financial Aid. Students taking nursing courses will have a few other expenses, including clinical fees, scrubs, background checks, and so forth. The Intake Specialist can give you a current list, as well as information about immunizations you will need. A laptop computer is required, but the university provides free systems software and upgrades to meet our requirements. The cost of the high-quality education provided by Kramer School of Nursing need not stop a student from choosing Oklahoma City University. Almost every student receives financial aid. For more information, click here.

Please note that students pursuing a second Bachelor's degree should be aware of Financial Aid restrictions for courses taken in summer semesters. Students pursuing a second Bachelor's degree may also have less funding available based on prior use of financial resources. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for questions and detailed information.

When does the program start?
Students may begin classes in the fall, spring or summer. You can start nursing courses as soon as you have:

  • A 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher
  • A 2.5 GPA or higher in prerequisite science courses
  • English proficiency
  • Not more than 9 credit hours of general education courses remaining

Where do I go for clinical experiences as part of my KSN courses? How many hours of clinical are there per week?
Students complete clinicals in many different locations around the Oklahoma City area. Agencies can include large and rural hospitals, long-term care, acute care, specialty hospitals, community clinics, hospice, public schools, volunteer clinics, city shelters, and more, depending on the course and where the relevant patient care experiences can be found. For full-time and accelerated options, clinicals are usually one or two 9-hour days per week on Thursdays and Fridays, typically during day hours, depending on the course. For the part-time option, clinicals are usually 45-90 clock hours per course per semester and are scheduled during the evenings or on Saturdays, depending on the course. In the final semester of the degree, the student works the same shift as the preceptor, including a few night shifts or weekend hours, as arranged with the preceptor.

When do classes meet?
Classes meet Monday through Friday during daytime hours across the week.  Clinical practicum experiences may occur during daytime, evenings, and weekends.  

Are there online nursing classes?
While all nursing courses have online sites where resources are posted for students, no undergraduate Gateway courses are exclusively online. All courses meet for the full schedule of regular in-person classes, except Nursing Pharmacology, which is a hybrid online/in-person course.

Can I switch between full-time and part-time schedules?
Yes. You may choose to attend full-time or part-time, and can adjust those schedules according to your needs.  If this is a change to your Degree Completion Contract, you must complete a new contract. 

Can I work during the program?
It depends upon the pace of your coursework. Those attending on a part-time or a traditional full-time basis may successfully balance work along with their studies. However, those engaged in mostly accelerated coursework will likely find working more than approximately 10 hours per week extremely challenging.

What is the NCLEX-RN pass rate?
The NCLEX-RN is the nationally standardized examination taken to obtain a Registered Nurse license. While graduates can take the examination as many times as needed, pass rates are calculated only on the first attempt. The national pass rate typically averages between 85-87%. Kramer School of Nursing’s recent pass rates have been 93% (2005), 98% (2006), 93% (2007), 98% (2008), 95% (2009), 98% (2010), 87% (2011), 92% (2012), and 87% (2013).  Our five-year average is 94%, well beyond state and national rates.

Do you have an LPN-to-BSN program? If I am a LPN, will I receive college credit for my LPN?
KSN does not have a program exclusively for LPNs, although they are welcome to enter the program as freshmen. Since practical nursing education does not typically grant college credit, LPNs may find it faster to attend an accredited associate degree program in nursing where college credit for the LPN may be granted, then attend Kramer School of Nursing’s RN-to-BSN program.

What equipment and supplies will I need to purchase?
In addition to textbooks, you will need a laptop computer, uniforms (one or two sets of scrubs and white shoes), a lab coat, a basic model stethoscope, and a watch that shows seconds. You will need the laptop computer before starting the 3000-level nursing courses, but the other items can wait until you receive information about them early in the relevant course. 

Whom can I contact for more information?
Please contact Debbie Taber, Intake Specialist, via email at or by phone at (405) 208-5924.