• No separate application is required to enter the nursing school after admission to the university. Most nursing schools have a separate process and long waiting lists.
• We take all students who meet our standards, except enrollment in our DNP and PhD programs is limited. While we limit the size of classes, we will take all who qualify by opening additional sections, in order to help with the nursing shortage.
• The NCLEX-RN pass rate far exceeds state and national rates (around 85-87% of new graduates pass on the first attempt nationally, depending on the year). In 2010 the pass rate for Kramer School of Nursing was 98%. Ourfive year average is 93%.
• Everything has been designed with quality in mind and focuses on the student’s goals for career development. The faculty’s philosophy is that students are to be respected, heard, and satisfied with the program in its entirety. The reputation of Oklahoma City University for elegant, personalized education shines at the Kramer School of Nursing.
• The two-building nursing school complex houses classrooms featuring a centralized television monitoring system, two simulated hospital skills labs, and more. The buildings are fully equipped for wireless internet access plus hard-wired stations for every student in the classrooms.
• Nursing students participate in community service organizations. The School of Nursing maintains agreements with over 40 area hospitals, schools, hospices, clinics, camps, and other agencies where students can reach out to the community in a wide variety of settings. Students take a mission trip every year to an underserved area in another culture.
• KSN holds several major conferences every year for the nursing profession featuring nationally known speakers.
Our students provide our best evidence. In their words:
"Being a nursing student at Oklahoma City University has shaped my life in numerous ways. I intended on learning every characteristic nursing skill that was expected of me as a professional, but I also learned so much more. Through interaction with faculty and my peers at the Kramer School of Nursing I have also developed my skills in leadership, communication, and collaboration within a professional community. From my experience I am proud to say that not only can I apply these valuable skills in a nursing setting, but also in life. I feel confident that Oklahoma City University has provided me with an excellent education that will always be the foundation of wherever my career will take me."--Michelle Blankenship, Gateway BSN alumna
"This has been a challenging but wonderful experience that has changed my life forever. Thank you for working so hard to make great education possible for all of the current and future nursing students at OCU."--Megan Turner, Gateway alumna