On-campus safety escorts are available 24 hours a day, year-round.
Off-campus safety escorts to designated locations are available at scheduled intervals during the evening:
Monday through Friday: 9:15 PM, 10:15 PM, 11:15PM, and 12:15 PM.
Please call the OCU Police dispatch at 405-208-5001 (on-campus ext. 5001) to request an escort the dispatcher will then instruct you where to meet the officer.
We recommend the following tips when out in public.
- Choose open, well-lit and well traveled areas.
- Travel with a friend or in a group.
- Avoid dark, vacant, or deserted areas.
- When walking you should walk facing traffic.
- Be cautious of drivers who stop to talk to you.
- Dress in clothes and shoes which won't hamper movement.
- If you sense trouble: move away from the potential threat if possible. Join any group of people nearby.
- Cross the street and increase your pace.
- If a threatening situation is imminent and people are close by, yell, scream, or make a commotion in any way you can to get their attention. Remember: if you yell "help," people tend to leave you and go to get help. If you yell "fire," people will often come towards you.
- Go into an open business or campus facility.
- Call 5911 from a safe location on campus, or 911 off campus by cell phone or at any pay telephone.
- BE ALERT AND AWARE of your surroundings! Giving the appearance of not paying attention and not being alert is what offenders look for in a victim.
- NEVER HITCHHIKE!
- Always tell someone where you'll be and what time you are going to return.
- Do not wear headphones while walking or jogging.
- Do not read while walking or standing on the street.
- TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS: If something "feels wrong", something probably is wrong.