Oklahoma City University's campus network can be accessed from the Internet through a virtual
private network (VPN). This enables the user to remotely connect a computer to the campus
network in a way which enables that computer to behave as though it were directly attached
to the campus network infrastructure. Resources only available computers directly connected
to the campus network can be accessed through VPN. These resources include file shares,
Remote Desktop to office computers, printers, or other resources which one could typically
not access from the Internet.
To access Oklahoma City University's network via VPN, the following requirements must be met:
- You are an Oklahoma City University employee.
- A signed copy of the VPN Access Policy Acceptance Form has been sent to Network Services.
- You have high speed Internet access at the location you will be connecting from.
- You have updated virus protection software running on the computer you will be connecting with.
- You have a securely configured firewall protecting your computer.
- You have any wireless devices configured with a minimum of 128 bit data encryption.
- Once Network Services has received your signed VPN Access Policy Acceptance Form, you will be sent instructions on how to configure your machine.
While connected, if you wish to map to a network drive or use Remote Desktop to connect to a computer on the campus network, make sure to use the full domain name for the machine. This means, your machine name will be in the format: machine_name.okcu.edu
Do not forget to disconnect the VPN connection when finished accessing resources on the OCU network.