Veterans Affairs banner

Yellow Ribbon Program

Oklahoma City University is a Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) university - If VA eligibility requirements are met, the YRP adds an additional $22,610 to the Post 9/11 GI Bill annual benefit. You can afford an excellent education at a private university.

Getting Started

As an honorably discharged veteran, you may have extensive Veteran's Administration (VA) benefits to use for your education.

  • Our Veteran's Service Office will assist you with getting your VA benefits started, and work with you to keep them each semester.
  • OCU will complete an assessment of any transfer credit from previous colleges or military training so you have a roadmap of what you need to complete to obtain your degree.
  • Additional scholarships may be available - More than 90% of our students receive financial aid.
  • Our goal is to make your transition to OCU as smooth as possible and to assist in every way.

For further information you can contact our Heidi DePuy at (405) 208-5266 or


Apply to the Yellow Ribbon Program 

Benefits of the Yellow Ribbon Program

(courtesy of

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay you:

  • all resident tuition & fees for a public school
  • the higher of the actual tuition & fees or the national maximum per academic year for a private school
  • an exception to this exists for students enrolled in private schools in AZ, MI, NH, NY, PA, SC or TX. In these cases we will pay the higher of the actual tuition & fees or the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition & fees

Your actual tuition & fees costs may exceed these amounts if you are attending a private school or are attending a public school as a nonresident student.

Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement.

Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA will match that amount and issue payment directly to the institution.

Click here for FAQs about the Yellow Ribbon Program

For more information see our Yellow Ribbon Program Pamphlet


(courtesy of

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate).

Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.