Skip to main content

Minor in Chemistry

Frequently asked questions

Why should I minor in Chemistry? Many reasons. Getting a minor in a difficult subject like Chemistry adds academic rigor and breadth to your education. It demonstrates to medical and graduate schools or your future employer that you are serious about learning science. 

Who can minor in Chemistry? Anyone except Chemistry or Biochemistry majors. Many of our minors are Biology or Environmental Studies majors since the programs overlap significantly, but the minor is open to anyone.

How do I minor in Chemistry? You have to declare your minor in order for it to show up on your transcript. Merely taking the required classes is not enough. You need to fill out the “Change in Academic Status” form and have it signed by the chair for Chemistry (Dr. Prilliman).

Who can I ask for more information? You can talk to Dr. Prilliman (Department Chair of Chemistry), any of the Chemistry faculty or your academic advisor.

What classes do I need to take? Funny you should ask! The class list is below. Briefly, you need General Chemistry I and II (with labs), Organic Chemistry I and II (with labs) plus one more lab-based course beyond that.


Course Requirements for Chemistry Minor (22-23 credit hours)

CHEM 1141 General Chemistry I Lab
CHEM 1204 General Chemistry II
CHEM 1241 General Chemistry II Lab
CHEM 3103 Organic Chemistry I
CHEM 3141 Organic Chemistry I Lab
CHEM 3203 Organic Chemistry II
CHEM 3241 Organic Chemistry II Lab

One of the following laboratory courses: 4-5 credit hours
CHEM 2104 Environmental Chemistry
CHEM 2303 Quantitative Analysis and CHEM 2342 Quantitative Analysis Lab
CHEM 3503 Physical Chemistry I and CHEM 3541 Physical Chemistry Lab
CHEM 3603 Physical Chemistry II and CHEM 3541 Physical Chemistry Lab

You Qualify for Financial Aid

If you have a 3.0 GPA or higher, you may qualify for Academic Scholarships from $8,000–$13,000 per year.

Apply Now

More Information