Skip to main content

Residency Requirement Exemption

Students entering Oklahoma City University are required to live on campus until their contract ends after turning 21 years of age. An exemption from the residency requirement can be applied for the below reasons and what supporting documentation is needed.

  • Married: a. A student who is married can be approved to live off-campus. The student must provide a copy of the court-certified marriage certificate.

  • Military Duty: a. A student who is an active-duty military service member may submit their official military orders (DD214) to live off-campus.

  • 21 of age or older:
    a. Policy: Full Time enrolled students must live on campus until they turn 21 years of age. If the student turns the age of 21 after the start of fall classes or spring classes if that is their first full-time enrolled term during that academic year, the housing contract does not cancel out when they turn 21 or between semesters. Housing contracts are offered for Fall & Spring, and Spring Only contract terms. There are No Fall Term-only contracts. Being over 21 does not cancel a signed/active housing contract. b. Exemption: Please provide a copy of an official state ID or Driver’s License to this application for consideration for approval.

  • Fraternity House: a. A student may live off-campus in one of the fraternity houses but it must first be approved by the Dean of Students or designee prior to moving to that location.

  • Commuter Student:
    • Primary residence is that of parent(s) or legal guardian(s), located within 30 miles of Oklahoma City University: NOTE: Commuter exemptions are NOT granted to students wishing to reside with any other relative or friends. In the event that the student moves from the parent(s)/guardian(s) address, the student must notify University Housing.

    • Parents/Guardians may be contacted to verify residency. Additionally, two forms of supporting documentation must be submitted. c. If I do not reside at my home address during this time I am required to reside in university housing.

    • Required Supporting Documentation: a copy of 2 different supporting documents of residency, that includes parental information with the address being submitted. Documentation accepted will be copies of a utility bill, rental/mortgage contract, current bank statement, current paycheck/paystub, or a W2 must be provided to University Housing to be considered.

**Note: If a housing contract has been signed, an approved residency exemption form does not cancel out an active housing contract. It exempts the student from the housing residency requirement once the current contract ends. **

How to request an exemption

Any student can apply for a residency exemption for any of the reasons listed above. To apply please to the Housing Management System by following the steps below:

  1. Please go to the Housing Management System found HERE.

  2. Click “Log in” in the top right-hand corner

  3. Click on “student login” at the bottom of the page and use your BlueLink email address and password to log in.

  4. Once you are logged in you will see the “Residency Requirement Exemption Request” form at the top of the page or on the drop-down menu.

  5. Once in the form please read through each page on the reasons behind the requirement and requirements for each exemption category.

  6. On page 3 you will check the box for the category you are applying for exemption under and upload the supporting documentation as listed on the previous page.

  7. Once the supporting documentation is attached please sign the document using your student B#.

Review and Decision Process

Once a student submits a Residency Request Exemption Request form a Housing and Residence Life staff member is notified and will review the request and documentation within 14 business days. The staff member will notify the student of the decision to their OCU email address. If the student is denied the rationale will be provided. Each student has the opportunity to reapply with new information and documentation.

    Fill out the Residency Requirement Exemption Form

    Go Now