Skip to main content

Sexual Assault Resources

What to Do if You Have Been Assaulted

Caring for yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally after a sexual assault is important. It can often be overwhelming to process what has happened and sometimes even hard to recognize an assault. Sexual violence is defined as physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent. Consent is defined as knowing and voluntary assent to engage in certain conduct. Also, if one is too intoxicated to drive, one is too intoxicated to provide consent.

If you have been sexually assaulted, you have some choices:

If you would like to make a report and choose to undergo a physical examination, please contact OCUPD at 208-5001. From there, you will be connected with a SANE (sexual assault nurse examiner) and an advocate from the YWCA. If you choose to be examined:

  • if possible, do not shower or change clothes as it could damage physical evidence
  • do not wash any sheets, towels, or any other material that was involved in the assault
  • do not discard any objects that could be used for evidence, such as condoms

You may choose to report the assault to university authorities, which would begin an investigative procedure.

  • The University’s response to your report is separate from any criminal process.
  • You can choose to pursue the criminal process, the Title IX process, or both.
  • OCU’s Title IX Administrators can help you with safety planning, which may include changing your on-campus housing, academic assistance, and a no-contact order, which would prohibit communication between you and the accused.

Title IX


You also may choose not to report the sexual assault. If you would like to talk with someone in a confidential setting, please contact University Counseling.


On Campus: To speak with someone confidentially, please contact University Counseling or Student Health:

University Counseling

Free, confidential counseling services offered on campus. You may seek confidential services with counselors if you do not want to report to the university or law enforcement.

Student Health

Confidential health care and referrals available

Title IX

If you want to make a report, please contact Kristi Pendleton, Title IX Investigator, or Joey Croslin, Title IX Coordinator.


On Campus

Campus Police

208-5001 (main line)

208-5911 (emergency)

Local Resources


Provides advocacy and support for those who have experienced a sexual assault.

Women's Resource Center

Provides sexual assault support for those who have experienced a sexual assault

State Resources

PepTalk OK

Provides information and resources regarding sexual assault prevention education

Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault

Offers information on advocacy, resources, and volunteer opportunities regarding sexual assault education and prevention

National Resources

Not Alone

Offers information and resources for those who may feel marginalized while living with the residual effects of a sexual assault

It's On Us

The official website of the federal government’s campaign to provide a voice of support for those who have been sexually assaulted and to provide educational initiatives to prevent further instances of assault


Emergency Contraception

If there is concern about an unplanned pregnancy, Plan B can be obtained over-the-counter. You must be 18 years or older to purchase Plan B. See more information on WebMD.

Testing for STDs

Student Health offers testing for STDs.