The Oklahoma City University School of Theatre prepares young theatre artists for a sustainable professional life. Our programs – including on-stage, on-screen and behind-the-scenes disciplines – are grounded in the philosophy of putting theory into practice from the classroom to the stage and screen to produce creative, culturally aware, and highly effective theatrical artists. We are devoted to crafting a student-centered environment that is collaborative, rigorous and creative. OCU School of Theatre students are highly motivated, hardworking artists training at the undergraduate and graduate level to be highly skilled professionals who will have a long life in the arts.
Our academic programs are founded on a rigorous curriculum that offers conservatory-style training within the broader context of a liberal arts education. We create an environment that encourages the synthesis of the professional craftsperson with the passionate artist. We produce a broad and diverse selection of styles and genres at OCU. From staged readings, to classics, to student-directed works, to fully mounted Mainstage productions, the School of Theatre's extensive production program reflects our value of producing live theatre as an integral part of the education of our students.
THEATRE FAST FACTS
- Automatic merit-based academic scholarships are available to students based on GPA
- OCU also awards performance scholarships based on audition results
- OCU’s Theatre faculty includes four members of the Screen Actor’s Guild
- Rated a National Best College for Performing Arts by Niche
- Ranked in the Top 10 for Best Drama & Theatre Arts Schools in the Southwest Region by College Factual