Oklahoma City University | Current International Students Skip to content

Current International Students

The International Admissions Office at OCU is your first point of contact for information about the immigration rules and regulations that you have to follow while you are an international student in the United States.

We can answer most F-1 Student Visa questions, or if the problem is beyond our expertise we can assist you with finding an immigration attorney.

For some basic information about how to maintain your F-1 Student Visa status, check out our PowerPoint presentation on How to Maintain Your I-20. (PDF document)

You can apply for your student visa once you have been accepted and have received your I-20 from Oklahoma City University.

We recommend that you check the instructions available from the embassy or consulate closest to you where you will apply for your visa before beginning the process.

  1. Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Print the completed form and bring a copy to your visa interview. You will need to upload a photo to the online form.
  2. Schedule your visa interview: Interviews can be scheduled up to 120 days in advance of your course of study start date.
  3. Pay the visa application fee.
  4. Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee: www.fmjfee.com

The following documents should be prepared and brought to your visa interview:

  1. Passport: Must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the period of time you plan to be in the United States.
  2. Visa Application, form DS-160
  3. Application Fee payment receipt
  4. Photo (only if you were unable to upload a photo to your online application)
  5. Form I-20 - be sure to sign it!
  6. Academic documents: Transcripts, test scores, your OCU admission letter
  7. Financial statement of support: Should show that you have the ability to pay for one year of academic expenses as they are estimated on your I-20.

For more information, we recommend that you visit the U.S. Department of State page on Student Visas.

Students must have a valid F or J visa to enter the United States to begin their academic program; however after entering the U.S. the student's I-20 is the document that must be maintained to prove that the student is maintaining status in the U.S., not the visa. The visa stamp can be allowed to expire during a student's studies, but would need to be renewed if the student traveled outside the U.S. after the visa expired.

Students must maintain a valid passport during their time in the United States. Passports should be valid at least six months in the future. If your passport is within 6 months of expiring you must contact the closest consulate or embassy for information about renewing your passport.

Students must also maintain a valid I-20 during their time of study. The I-20 cannot be allowed to expire before the student completes their degree. It is the student's responsibility to know the program end date listed on their I-20 and to contact the International Admissions Office BEFORE the I-20 expires if the student needs an extension. See below.

Duration of Status or D/S refers to the fact that international students are allowed to remain in the U.S. as long as they are enrolled and are making normal progress toward degree completion. Regardless of the length of time given on your visa or I-20, you are allowed to continue your program as long as you are making normal progress (enrolled full-time each semester, not failing an excessive number of classes, not repeating classes, only taking courses required for degree completion).

Students that are making normal degree progress but do not complete their program before the Program End Date listed on the I-20 must contact the International Admissions Office for an extension BEFORE the Program End Date.

The Program Extension form (PDF document) must be signed by your academic adviser to confirm that you have made normal degree progress and that an extension is required to complete your degree. The completed form should be brought to the International Admissions Office at least one week before the Program End Date listed on the I-20.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. you must bring your I-20 to the International Admissions for a travel signature. The travel signature is our way of telling the Port of Entry that you are still an active student at OCU!

  • If you will travel during summer or winter vacation, be sure to enroll for the next semester before coming to the IA Office for your signature.
  • If you will be traveling mid-semester (spring break, long weekend) you may want to carry a "Good Standing Letter" and/or a copy of your transcript.
  • Students that are on OPT still need a travel signature. Students on OPT should also carry their EAD card with them, and it is highly recommended to also carry proof of employment (such as a letter from your employer).

Please keep in mind that the International Admissions Office occasionally closes for holidays - including the entire Winter Vacation! Be sure to get your travel signature early! We recommend at least two weeks before your departure date.

If you have additional questions about traveling outside the U.S., review our PowerPoint Presentation on Travel! (PDF document)

International students must be enrolled full-time during the academic year (fall and spring semesters). Full-time enrollment is defined as 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours per semester for graduate students. Summer study is optional unless summer is the first semester of the program.

International students may only enroll in courses that are a required part of their degree program.

F-2 Dependents are now allowed to study part-time in academic programs. F-2 visa holders may not enroll full-time and may not work.

If you are a current OCU student and wish to transfer out to another SEVP-certified university in the U.S., please follow the steps below. To transfer, the student must be "in status."

  1. Gain admission to a SEVP-certified school and obtain an admission letter
  2. Complete Request for Transfer of SEVIS Record (PDF document) and Transfer/Withdrawal Form for International Students (PDF document) and bring them with a copy of your admission letter from your new school to the International Admissions Office.
  3. We will process your documents and electronically transfer your SEVIS I-20 record to your new school.
  4. A new I-20 will be available at your new school.

The International Admissions Office can also assist international students with status adjustment issues. Reinstatement and Change of Status Applications both begin with the International Admissions Office but require official adjudication by USCIS.

If you have failed to maintain your immigration status, a reinstatement may be required to correct it. An International Student Adviser must assist you with filing a reinstatement. Please visit the International Admissions Office for more information.

If you are currently in the United States in another visa status and would like to change to a student visa, the International Admissions Office can assist you! You must first be admitted to Oklahoma City University. A change of status I-20 will be issued and your International Admissions counselor will assist you with information about what to submit to USCIS.

Students that plan to travel outside the U.S. or that have an appointment to renew their visa may want to carry a Good Standing Letter with them. A Good Standing Letter can be requested from the Registrar's Office on campus before you leave for your trip.

If you lose or damage your I-20, it must be replaced as soon as possible. You should always have an original copy of your most recent I-20 available.

International students are also required to update the International Admissions Office within 10 days if they move to a new address, change majors, change names (married, etc.), or any other major change.

Please contact the International Admissions Office ([email protected]) if you need a replacement or updated I-20.

The Office of International Admissions no longer issues letters of invitation to family members; such letters from us carry no weight when a family member applies for a visitor visa. However, we have attached information for you on how you can word your own invitation letter (please see below the attached sample letter). We also recommend that you obtain a Good Standing Letter from the Office of the Registrar at OCU to confirm your student status.

Graduation Invitation Letter Sample (PDF document)

Some students may wish to take a course offered by another university during the time that they are enrolled at OCU. In this case, OCU can continue to maintain your immigration record and I-20 by giving you permission to enroll concurrently. If you would like to request permission for concurrent enrollment, just complete the Concurrent Enrollment Form (PDF document) and bring it to the International Admissions Office.

Proof of enrollment at another university will be required.

Back to Top