Congratulations on having an OCU Star!
Career Services values the role parents and family members play in their student's life. Even though you may now be separated by miles or hours, you still have the ability to be a huge influence on your student's career choices.
Below are some simple things to consider and resources for you to help support your student.
- Encourage your student to visit Career Services beginning their Freshman Year - this is especially important if they are still deciding upon a major or thinking about a major change.
- Help your student to assess their values, who they are, and what they really want to accomplish.
- Talk to your student about your own career and how you got there.
- Encourage them to volunteer, intern and pursue part-time employment.
- Suggest that they talk with professionals about what they do.
- Resist the temptation to be overly involved- Set limits! Give guidance and support. Employers rarely see parental involvement in a positive light!