Oklahoma City University | Before You Begin Skip to content

Before You Begin

Please note the following information about the included federal forms:

I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification is required by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, who also stipulates the types of acceptable identification. Original documents must be shown to a staff member of the Office of Administrative Services at the time of completion. A complete list of acceptable identification is listed on the back of the form. Common examples are either a U.S. Passport or a combination of a driver's license or official I.D. and a birth certificate or Social Security card.

Passport requirements

International students must have an un-expired passport with a I-551 stamp or attached INS Form I-94 and I-20 or an Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph. The I-9 form has very specific directions and requirements and should be read carefully. The Student Employment staff must uphold federal requirements and cannot accept any document not specifically listed as acceptable by the government.

Taxes and Withholdings

W-4 Federal and Oklahoma Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificates direct OCU to withhold the correct Federal and State income tax from your pay. Please be aware of the federal and state income tax withholding rules as they may apply to your situation. A "single" student who had no federal income tax liability in 2012 and whose total earnings for 2013 will be less than $5950 (or $8,700, if no one else is eligible to claim him or her as a dependent for income tax purposes) may claim "exempt" status.

Employment verification

International students offered jobs are required to obtain a Social Security card. Once you are hired, your supervisor will request an employment verification letter which you will take the Social Security Administration for processing. Processing time takes approximately two weeks. You MAY NOT begin working until you have received your card. A receipt letter is not acceptable to begin employment. Some international student employees are required to complete international taxation information (Glacier).

More information

La Dana Wilson
Payroll and Tax Compliance Coordinator
[email protected]
Back to Top