Oklahoma City University | Required Vaccinations for OCU Nursing… Skip to content

Required Vaccinations for OCU Nursing Students

Students at the Kramer School of Nursing are required to submit records of immunization to Kramer School of Nursing and OCU Student Health Clinic.

For KSN, you must prove immunity to:

  • Hepatitis B
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)
  • TDAP

The following tests and vaccines are also required annually:

  • Tuberculin Test
  • Flu Vaccine

The following are requirements by our clinical agencies. This documentation is required for all students and faculty who participate in clinical experiences. As you may imagine, this process takes more than a few minutes, so it is necessary to start providing documents before your semester begins. This all has to be completely finished and on file with the Clinical Regulations Specialist so it can be forwarded to the appropriate clinical agencies BEFORE the first day of clinical. Students who are missing immunizations will not be allowed to go to clinical.

1) Current adult TDAP

2) Measles Immunity. Both types require immunization or titer.

a. Rubella (German or 3-day measles)

b. Rubeola (10 days or Red measles)

c. Mumps Students need proof of 2 Mumps vaccines OR the titer showing immunity.

Note on MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine

  • Born 1957 or after, proof of two MMRs or two live measles vaccines.
  • Born before 1957, proof of one MMR or titer.

3) Chicken Pox Immunity. Varicella titer is required. If titer is negative and serum is available, vaccination will be required.

4) Hepatitis B Vaccine series. Complete series or immune titer. Students may begin clinical with proof of #1 injection, provided proof of #2 and #3 are provided to the school as they are completed. Failure to comply will result in dismissal from the program.

5) Tuberculin Test.


Two Negative PPDs, Quantiferon test (QFT), or T-spot injection with negative results.


  • PPD, Quantiferon test (QFT), or T-spot injection with negative results
  • If a previous positive TB test, then one Chest X-ray with negative results. Each year thereafter, a physical exam with negative TB symptoms and a Release for Contact form signed by HCP.
  • If CXR is positive, an annual medical examination with negative TB symptom screening. A Release for Contact Form must be signed by HCP.

6) Flu vaccine. Flu vaccination is required before October 31 of each year. Those unwilling or unable to comply will be required to wear a mask throughout their time in any clinical facility requiring the flu vaccine or mask.

All required immunizations have been established in accordance with the CDC; Oklahoma State Department of Health; and the Occupational, Safety, and Health Administration guidelines.

For OCU, you must provide records of immunity to:

  • Hepatits B
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
  • Meningitis (if living in on-campus housing, including dormitories and apartments, not required if residing off campus)

Why are vaccines required?

Hospitals and healthcare organizations require employees and students in their facilities to have immunity to those diseases, so KSN must have your records. You should provide your records directly to the Student Services staff in KSN.

OCU requires the information in order to comply with an Oklahoma state law requiring all students in post-secondary education to have immunity to those diseases.

The Student Health clinic coordinates records of students at the University. KSN does not send your records to Student Health. You can bring or fax your records to 405-208-6016.

What if I ...

  • can’t locate records of having Hepatitis B immunization (3-part series of injections, given over 6 months), or
  • had measles, mumps, rubella or the immunizations to prevent them and don’t have records, or
  • had chicken pox as a child and should be immune, but don’t have records of a doctor visit or proof?

Here’s one solution:

You can have a blood test, known as a titer, which will show immunity to the diseases if you were vaccinated or had the illnesses. You can get the tests at your personal physician’s office, or at the OCU Student Health Clinic. There is no need to repeat immunizations if you have immunity. A positive result on a titer will indicate immunity.

Back to Top